See which group has the strongest lungs by trying to keep your balloon in the air for longer than the other teams, using only your own air!
Air Balloons is an activity that is ideal for ages 10 – 25.
Recommended number of people:
This game is best played with groups of 8+ people. It is not ideal for small groups.
In order the play this game you will need the following materials:
- Basic rubber balloons for air
- A timer or stopwatch for each team
- Optional: small paper or plastic fans
How to set up the game:
If you would like you can have each team blow up their balloons, but to make the game fairer it is better if you inflate all the balloons for each team ahead of time. Make sure to inflate extras in case of breaking balloons.
How to play:
- Separate the group into different teams. Teams should be between 3-5 people ideally. You can play this game with as many teams as you’d like.
- Give each team a balloon to use as well as a paper or plastic fan (fans are optional, balloons are not).
- Choose a player from each team to be the time-keeper. Give them one of the timers or stopwatches to record the time that their team keeps the balloon in the air without touching it.
- Instruct players that the rules of the game are you cannot touch the balloon at all once it is in the air. Balloons must be kept in the air for as long as possible without being touched and without touching the ground at any time. Each time a balloon is touched by a member of the team or touches the ground, the time on the stopwatch must be reset back to zero. The only thing players are allowed to do to keep their balloons up is to use air either from their fans or by blowing on the balloon.Tip: try to give each team a different colored balloon so that there can be no mix-ups if the teams overlap at any point.
Winning the game:
The team that manages to keep their balloon in the air for the longest consecutive amount of time will be the winners. They should not sabotage any other competing teams during this time. Monitor the teams as they’re playing to ensure they are keeping time properly.