The Frozen T-Shirt Race is an ideal game to be played outside on a hot summer day, and is a hit amongst younger players. It’s a true ice-breaker game, as the players will work together to literally break the ice on the t-shirt. The game’s objective is simple—you must thaw out, unfold, and wear a frozen t-shirt. Even though this game might sound easy, it’s a challenge to complete. The Frozen T-shirt Game can be played in groups or each player can receive their own shirt. Setting restrictions on how the t-shirt can be thawed will make the game more competitive, and you can really see players getting into it!
- Gallon freezer bags
- Large t-shirts—the amount depending on the number of players
- Cooler and ice (optional)
- Place each t-shirt in water—about two cups—and wring it out. Too much water will prevent the t-shirt from thawing in a reasonable amount of time.
- After the t-shirt has been wrung out, fold it neatly into a square, so that it fits inside the freezer bag. Once the shirt is folded flat, press it to squeeze out the remaining water.
- Place the shirt in the bag, seal it, and lay the bag flatly into the freezer.
- If you are playing the game at different location, then use a cooler filled with ice to keep them frozen.
How to the Frozen T-shirt Game
- Don’t reveal the game to the players’ prior, so that they will have to come up with the ideas on the spot, without getting an unfair advantage.
- Assign the teams or individuals and pass out the frozen t-shirts. You don’t want more than 4 or 5 players on one team, as it will get too crowded.
- The goal is for each player or team to use whatever he or she can to thaw a t-shirt enough to wear it.
- Whoever gets their t-shirt on first wins! Their body must be completely in the t-shirt including head and arms, so that it’s worn normally.
Set some rules to make the game more challenging such as:
- All players must stay in the game area—the game area can be marked off prior to starting.
- No water or other liquids can be used to thaw out the t-shirt.
- No machines such as a microwave, heater, dryer, etc. can be used to melt the ice on the t-shirt.
- No sharp objects can be used on the t-shirt.
- The t-shirt must remain intact and not destroyed in anyway—no holes, tears, etc.